Sunday, April 17, 2011

Das Einleben [settling in]

Shame on me, I know; I haven't been keeping up on my blog. But now that I'm settled in here in Potsdam, I should be able to be more active on here.

So last time I checked in, I had just spent a great weekend in Scotland. Now I write from my room at my WG in Potsdam, where it's starting to feel like home. Okay, maybe not my real home, but a home of sorts. I've had the chance to spend a lot of time with both my roommates Pit and Frederike. Some highlights include watching "Miss Congeniality" or "Miss Undercover" as it's called here, shopping at the local mall and playing a midnight game of Kniffel--the German version of Yatzee (doing math quickly in German is hard; maybe that's why I lost the game). I am so thankful everyday that I found this apartment, and I pity those international students who are living in the student dorms in Golm. I must thank the dear Martha Scheer for advising me this past fall not to live in these student dorms because they aren't really even located in Potsdam. Instead, they are on the outskirts of city in the farming community of Golm, where buses don't even run at night. It has also worked out splendidly because my room here was already furnished, and I can use all the kitchen essentials such as silverware and pans and plates that Pit and Frederike already own, which is an additional cost those students in dorms have pay.

I also had my friend Michael who just finished up a semester in Spain come to visit. We spent an afternoon exploring Berlin, which was a lot of fun. Here a few pictures from that adventure:

Brandenburg Gate

Checkpoint Charlie

One of the remaining sections of the Berlin Wall

As far as school goes (oh, yeah, almost forgot that I am studying abroad), classes finally started this week. That means with the semester just starting, I'll be in school until the end of July. But don't feel too sorry for me; I only have class two days a week. On Mondays I have a German class that focuses on grammar and vocabulary, and then on Wednesdays, I have two Russian classes back to back. One is written expression and the other one deals with oral expression. I've only been to class once, but I can tell I'm going to learn a lot. In the Russian class, we each have a computer and headset/microphone with which we have to record ourselves every class. Talk about intimidating!

Well, I think that's all I've got for you for now. I am very excited for next weekend. I'm heading to Lüneburg (near Hamburg) to stay with my friend from high school Edda and her family. It's Easter/ my birthday. That's right: Paul's turning 21! Look out, world!

1 comment:

  1. Best line: "I pity those international students who are living in the student dorms in Golm."

    P.S. Golm sounds like it should be somewhere in Middle Earth.

    ReplyDelete