Thursday, March 31, 2011

Schottisches Wochenende [Scottish weekend]

Well, I'm finally settled in Potsdam. After three weeks of traveling around Europe, I'm ready to stay put--at least for a little while. But I still need to write something about the amazing weekend I had in the UK. While my transit to and from Edinburgh was far more stressful and difficult than I anticipated, the end result was definitely worth it. All I'll say about my transportation to and from Scotland is this: make sure you know where the airport you need is; sometimes it's an hour and 45 minutes out of your way.

I was so glad to meet up with my long-time friend Alyssa Small in Edinburgh. We didn't plan the whole picking me up at the airport thing, but we somehow managed to time things perfectly, as she rolled up on the bus literally two minutes after I got through customs. Of course we had to ride on the top level of the double-decker bus to her flat. Once we got to her flat, I met her lovely "flatmate" Lindsey from New York. What a breath of fresh air Miss Lindsey is! She tells it how it is, but is so kind, friendly and hysterical at the same time. Luckily, Lindsay accompanied us with all of our activities throughout the weekend. Highlights  were shopping on Princess Street, eating fish and chips (I never eat fish, but it was delicious!) and dining at a Portuguese/South African restaurant. We also toured Holyrood Palace where the queen stays when she visits Edinburgh.
Outside of Holyrood. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside; that didn't stop Lindsey, though. 
We also stopped by The Elephant House for lunch. This was the cafe where J.K. Rowling wrote a lot of the early Harry Potter books. 

It was also just a lot of fun to hang out in Alyssa's flat, chatting with Lindsey and the other roomies, discussing the differences among the US, Scotland and Germany. But my favorite moment was on my last full day in Scotland when Alyssa and I climbed a hill that overlooks the whole city. As I sat alone on the hill overlooking the city and the ocean, I got chills. Absolutely breathtaking to think that I was just chilling on a hill in Scotland without a care in the world.

Hopefully I have more moments like that. Thanks, Alyssa, for the great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. A Portuguese slash South African restaurant? How does that work?! :)

    ReplyDelete