Monday, June 27, 2011

Fragen [questions]

It's been a month since I last posted something here. In the beginning, there was so much I wanted to write about, but the more accustom I've become to life in Germany, the fewer "blog-worthy" experiences have happened. But with four weeks left until I come home, I still want to post a few more entries. What I thought I'd post this time is a list of my favorite ten questions that I've been asked by Germans about America. The answers are pretty obvious, so I'll include what I should have answered.


Me with Copernicus. We're both thinkers and are always ready to tackle the big questions. 
Here we go: Top Ten Questions asked by Germans about America. Please note that these questions were originally asked in German and sometimes by multiple people, but I've done my best to translate and paraphrase.



10. What TV shows are the most popular in the U.S.? 

Antiques Roadshow, reruns of Charmed,  and Judge Judy 

9. Is the videotaping of the subway stations a big issue where you live (like it is in Berlin)? 

Yes. I feel like my privacy is being breached every time I take the subway from Lockwood to the Heights. That's why I stick to the tram. 

8. Montana? Like Hannah Montana? 

Exactly. Have you seen our state quarter? 






7. What stereotypes do Americans have about Germans? 

Friendly, easy-going people with a beautiful language. 

6. So do a lot of people go to Montana to live the American Dream?

You must be thinking of North Dakota. 

5. Can you really drive when you're 16?

Actually I could drive when I was 15, but then you have to wait six more years to drink. Wait...

4. Are there really these house parties? And do they really drink from these red cups?

Yes, but you have to be 21 to attend them. And normally the cups contain non-alcoholic beverages such as grapefruit juice or skim milk. 

3. What was the 51st state again? (Yes, I've had three Germans try to convince me that there are 51 states)

Where is the 51st star on the flag? 

2. What do you think of the job President Obama is doing?

REDACTED. 

1. Is college in America like American Pie? Like when you go to college are all the girls hot?

So much like American Pie that's it's scary. Harvard's got the hottest girls, though.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, I can't post on Facebook. Obviously I'm going out of my mind, but luckily I can tell you here that I would respond to the questions the exact same way.
    Although, read a book. We got the 51st state in April.

    ReplyDelete